Topaz is a very lovely stone indeed. Transparent with beautiful luster, a topaz's sparkle can light up the room. It can occur in a multitude of colors and is one of may favorite gemstones, especially the blue variety.
Raw, uncut topaz:
5 Fun Facts about Topaz:
1. Topaz is an ancient gemstone, and is named for the Sanskrit word "tapas", meaning fire.
2. The Egyptians believed that yellow topaz got its color from the golden glow of the sun god Ra. The Romans linked it to Jupiter, their sun god. It is easy to see this association today in yellow topaz, with its golden luster.
3. Topaz is an 8 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. Though it is one of the hardest stones, it still pales in comparison to a diamond. Care must be taken so as not to fracture the stone, especially in rings and bracelets.
4. A topaz crystal found in Brazil is the largest known, weighing in at 600 pounds. It is now housed in the Museum of Natural History in New York.
5. Topaz is said to stimulate metabolism and digestion. It is also said to promote relaxation and ease tension. I, however, have experienced none of these fantastical side effects while wearing my topaz...so I'm not going to make any promises.
You can find many LUCIUS Jewelry pieces with blue topaz. Here is a sampling of the many wonderful pieces you can find!